Monday, May 08, 2006

BUSH BAGS IVORY-BILLED WOODPECKER

.

BAYOU SPRINGS, ARKANSAS (AP)- President Geroge W. Bush has told a Polish paper that his greatest moment in more than five years as President is capturing and managing to kill an elusive ivory-billed woodpecker.

"You know, I've experienced many great moments and it's hard to name the best," Bush told weekly "Poland Spring" when asked about his high point since becoming president in January 2001. "I would say the best moment of all was when I nailed an ivory-bill out on the swamps," he told the newspaper in an interview published on Sunday.

"You know, those dang things are pretty much extinct, so finding one is not easy. And this sucker put of a hell of a fight before I finally managed to bag it," the President said.

The ivory-billed woodpecker, a magnificent bird, was until recently thought to be extinct, but the U.S. Department of Interior has a said a few may still exist in the wild.

"At first, I though it was a pilated pecker, but then I saw the flashing white wings and whispered, 'Dick, it's an ivory-bill!' I unloaded my rifle and emptied Saddam's pistol at it, but the critter hid in a tree. Finally, I grabbed an Uzi from one of my Secret Service guys and took it down," said the President.

Experts have determined that Bush got a true ivory-billed woodpecker, although "Dick hit the guy from Cornell [the Cornell Ornithology Lab] when his shotgun went off," the President said, referring the Vice President.

"As Paul Wolfowitz would say, 'ladies and gentlemen, I got him,'" the President added, grinning.


An ivory-billed woodpecker
************************************************

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Correctly your article helped me terribly much in my college assignment. Hats off to you dispatch, intention look ahead in the direction of more interdependent articles in a jiffy as its anecdote of my favourite issue to read.