Tuesday, August 28, 2007

DEPARTMENT OF OVERREACTIONS: BULLETPROOF BACKPACKS

From CNET News blogger Leslie Katz

For all your back to school needs:

Bulletproof Backpacks

Some people will call the invention an overreaction, while others will view it as a wise protective gadget. It's sad--and sobering--to think that a bulletproof backpack could prove a practical back-to-school purchase, but it's not so far-fetched an idea in these days of campus violence.

MJ Safety Solutions, a Massachusetts company run by three dads, has developed what it says is the first full-size, lightweight ballistic protection backpack that's affordable and practical for kids. The $175 My Child's Pack contains a 20-ounce bulletproof panel that the creators say can ward off 97 percent of bullets. The packs can be used to offer upper torso coverage on the back or as a shield for frontal protection of the head and upper body.

A video ad on YouTube shows the bags undergoing tests at the shooting range--to the tune of Neil Young's "Four Dead in Ohio."


***********************************************

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With the latest school shootings, I guess a bulletproof backpack doesn't sound so crazy any more. My Child's Pack could have possibly saved the teachers or kids. I think I'm going to get one for me, I ride the train to work. Can't hurt.