Thursday, October 20, 2005

Court: Spyware Can Be Trespass

In a federal case pending in Illinois, (Sotelo v. DirectRevenue) a judge has accepted the idea that placing spyware can result in a tort claim of trespass to chattels.

In the lawsuit, the plaintiff alleged that the defendant deceptively placed software on his computer, which allowed them to track the user and place targered pop-up ads on the computer.

The court denied a motion to dismiss the claim of trespass to chattels. The court accepted the claim that the allegation of the placement of, and damage done by, the spyware interfered with the plaintiff's personal resources to the degree required by the tort.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading blog. You may want to check out my day trading online web page day trading online Keep it up.

Dunderdad said...

wow, a non-spam comment. can you contain your excitement?

that's an extremely interesting thought by the judge, and something i had been fiddling with on my own daydreams. cool!

i enjoyed... just kidding!

Anonymous said...

Good day


I know I am onto something good, now I can use http://www.BuySellDirect.net FREE to sell and make extra money.


Why should I use ebay when I can sell my products FREE at http://www.BuySellDirect.net.